Do you want to know the best time to post on social media?
You’re in luck, because today you’re going to get an answer!
And one of the best ways to maximize your chances for engagement is to post when your audience is actually logged in on social media.
In this post, we’ll take a look at the best times to post on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn backed by research from Sprouts Social’s 20,000 client case study.
Also at the end, we’ll give you two ways to uncover your best time to post based on your specific audience.
Ready to dive in?
Let’s start first by unpacking what it means to post at the best time.
What Does It Mean to Post At The Best Time?
The best time to post is the time and day where you have the max amount of active followers online.
How many active followers you have at any given time or day will depend on a two things:
- The location or time zone of the bulk of your audience.
- The way of life of your audience.
These two things will influence when your followers will actually be online
Alright, let’s look at the general best times to post on social media.
The Best Time To Post On Instagram
- The best day to post on Instagram: Wednesday
- The worst day to post on Instagram: Sunday
- The best time to post on Instagram: Wednesday at 11 a.m. and Friday between 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Digging even deeper, Instagram tends to have steady engagement Monday – Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
But early mornings, before 6 a.m., and late nights, after 9 p.m., is where usage begins to drop.
This makes sense.
Unless Instagram users are vampires, we wouldn’t expect engagement to be extremely high in the wee hours of the morning and night.
Usage of the platforms also trends lower on weekends as users are out and about.
In short, stick to posting mid-day during the week if Posting On Instagram.
The Best Time To Post on Facebook
- The best day to post on Facebook: Wednesday
- The worst day to post on Facebook: Sunday
- The best time to post on Facebook: Wednesday at 11 a.m. and between 1-2 p.m.
Facebook’s best time to post mirror’s Instagram quite a bit. Does that surprise anyone?
Both Facebook and Instagram claim Wednesday at 11 a.m. as the best day and time to post.
Although anytime between Tuesday and Thursday between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. is considered safe.
Facebook’s usage, also like Instagram’s, trends lower on weekends.
Therefore, unless you have content that is specific to the weekend, we’d suggest posting it during the week.
Also, try not to post before 7 a.m. or after 5 p.m. as these times generally see the lowest engagement throughout the week.
The Best Time To Post On Twitter
- The best day to post on Twitter: Wednesday and Thursday
- The worst day to post on Twitter: Saturday
- The best time to post on Twitter: Wednesday and Friday at 9 a.m.
In general, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. are great times to post on Twitter.
As with previous platforms, Engagement and usage drops in the early morning, before 4 a.m., and in the late night, after 10 p.m., on Twitter.
Specifically for Twitter, engagement does peak in the morning between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.
This is likely due to Twitter being looked at as a news platform and users checking it as one of their first morning activities.
The Best Time To Post On LinkedIn
- The best day to post on LinkedIn: Wednesday and Friday
- The worst day to post on LinkedIn: Sunday
- The best time to post on LinkedIn: Wednesday between 8-10 a.m. and 12 p.m., Thursday at 9 a.m. and 1-2 p.m., and Friday at 9 a.m.
Generally, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Tuesday through Friday is a safe time to post to get engagement.
Monday is the one day of the work week that gets less than desirable usage and engagement.
This makes sense as Monday is typically the busiest day for the platform’s core demographic, business professionals.